Once considered liberal and progressive, the Republican Party has been taken over by right-wing conservative con artists who lie, cheat and steal to gain and maintain power. From voter fraud and suppression to smear campaigns, personal attacks and media manipulation, they have been using the same strategies for more than a hundred years.
While Democratic Dirty Tricks prominently show up around FDR's first election in '32, Kennedy/Nixon (Chicago) in '60 and Lyndon Johnson in '64, these lead to The New Deal, Social Security and Civil Rights while Republican Dirty Tricks give us depressions, poverty and massive national debt.
Republicans know if most people vote, they would never win so they try to demoralize the Democratic base and suppress the vote as much as possible, they buy some people off with tax cuts and scare the rest into voting against their own interests and that's how they win. It's a divide and conquer strategy that has worked well and they refine and expand it every election year.Republican Strategy:
- Demoralize the Democratic base with phony press releases and whisper campaigns.
- Attack oponents strength with character assasination.
- Suppress the vote in every possible way.
- Buy some people off with tax cuts.
- Scare the rest into voting against their own interests.
In the 2004 election there was massive GOP voter fraud and suppression; from black box voting fraud, vote tabulating fraud, re-registering people into different precincts, destroying voter registration forms, misinformation in poor neighborhoods, moving polls close to election day, old ballot machines in poor and black neighborhoods that spoil votes, ballot checking machines in wealthy neighborhoods that allow wealthy voters to re-cast spoiled ballots, police intimidation, caging lists and on and on and on. The result was an 8 million vote discrepancy between the official results and exit polls. The official results had Bush winning by 3 million votes but the exit polls had Kerry winning by 5 million votes.
Republicans have two major factors on their side; a fanatical base willing to carry out the dirty tricks and the greediest billionaires to finance them. They deceive good people by raising the red flag of abortion and gay marriage to divert attention away from their arrogant and greedy policies which cause the poverty, war and pollution we are facing today.
The next time a Republican tells you “America, love it or leave it.” Tell them you love America. You just want right-wing conservatives to stop molesting her. If they act like they don't know what you're talking about, send them here.History of Right-wing Conservative Dirty Tricks
- Right-wing conservatives have deceptively co-opted the flag, religion, christmas and our founding fathers. However, George Washington aspired for America to become a liberal nation:
"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."
-- George WashingtonSeparation of Church and State
- Right-wing conservatives have flat out lied about history, claiming "Separation of Church and State" is a myth and that the U.S. was founded on Christianity to rationalize their radical fundamentalist Theocracy. However, separation of church and state was established to preserve religious freedom for everyone. Read More...
Nowhere in the U.S. Constitution does it mention or refer to god. However it does say:
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust" -- U.S. Constitution
The 1st Amendment states: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"
The U.S. Treaty with Tripoli reaffirmed the Separation of Church and State and was written while George Washington was president, passed with unanimous consent in the U.S. Senate, signed by President John Adams and received no public outcry and states:
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..." -- US Treaty with Tripoli - Article 11 - 1797Thomas Jefferson
- Author of Declaration of Independence, chief advocate of Bill of Rights and 3rd U.S. President wrote:
"Church and state were separated because the church previously had promoted itself through the agency of the state and to the detriment of the people." and...
"I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State." -- Thomas JeffersonJames Madison
- Father of U.S. Constitution, Co-author of Federalist Papers and 4th U.S. President wrote:
"The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe with blood for centuries." and...
"Religion and Government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together." -- James Madison
"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy." -- Marquis de Lafayette
, American Revolutionary War hero
was not widely celebrated by our founding fathers because it was considered an English tradition based on pagan rituals. In some Colonies/States it was actually illegal to celebrate Christmas. "In God We Trust
" was not established as the U.S. national motto until 1956 in the midst of the "Red Scare" and McCarthyism. It also didn't appear on paper money until the 1950s.1800
- Conservative Federalist newspapers claimed that the election of Thomas Jefferson would cause the "teaching of murder robbery, rape, adultery and incest". Jefferson won anyway, ushering the eventual demise of the conservative Federalist Party. Read More... Also...
Conservative Federalist newspaper depicts Thomas Jefferson as a traitorous "Prairie Dog" handing over the US treasury to France. On the right dances a French diplomat who says, "A gull for the People."Read More...
An earlier political cartoon portrays Jefferson as the product of Satan lusting for power.
Conservative Federalist Party attack add depicts Jefferson as attempting to destroy the Constitution, stoped by God and an American eagle.Read More...NOTE
: If a Republican claims Thomas Jefferson as one of their own because of his views on "limited government" remind them that Jefferson's position was based on an agrarian vision of America. Jefferson was very much against and afraid of the industrial, capitalist, corporate, free trade direction Republicans have led us into because of the potential abuse and suppression of Democracy.
"Under a separation of state and economics, especially with laissez-faire capitalism [Free Trade], the state no longer has a role to play in protecting the people and assuring their happiness. Laissez-faire means capitalism is outside the regulatory control of the state and that the people are entirely at the mercy of the capitalists."
-- Thomas Jefferson
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country."
-- Thomas Jefferson1828
- Supporters of conservative presidential candidate John Quincy Adams distributed a pamphlet which claimed: Democratic candidate Andrew Jackson
's mother "was a common prostitute brought to this country by British solders! She afterwards married a mulatto man with whom she had several children of which number General Jackson is one!!" Jackson won anyway and goes on to pay off the U.S. debt for the first time in history and leaves office in 1836 with a $400,000 surplus never to be repeated until Democratic president Bill Clinton. Read More...
“Let the people rule
” -- Andrew Jackson1844
– Right-wing conservative Whig boss Thurlow Weed put out a false newspaper story alleging that slaves were found branded with the initials of Democratic candidate James Polk. The article falsely implied that Polk had sold slaves to finance his candidacy. The Whigs also tried to demoralize the Democratic Party by forging and circulating a letter that indicated the campaign was going badly. And the old standby, Whigs printed phony ballots that mixed up the names of the candidates with their party. Democrat James Polk wins anyway and expands the United States by more than a million square miles, across Texas , New Mexico , California and Oregon , more than any other President. From “sea to shining sea” Polk established the border with Canada and successfully waged war with Mexico to make the US a complete nation. Polk also started the Naval Academy , the Washington Monument and issued the first postage stamp. Read More...
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country... Corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Lincoln is shot by a right-wing conservative, John Wilkes Booth
- In the West, agents, working for right-wing, conservative bankers and railroad industrialists promote gold rushes and land grants to flood settlers into unsettled land and then sell whiskey and guns to Indians to incite trouble with settlers and gold miners so US troops can be sent in to remove the Indians. Line agents also gave smallpox infected blankets to Indians to kill the women and children.Ulysses S. Grant - Corruption, Graft, and Bribery
The Republican administration of Ulysses S. Grant was one of the most corrupt and disastrous in U.S. history. The "Credit Mobilier" (Railroad) scandal, the "Whiskey Ring" scandal and the Depression of 1873 led to the quick end of reconstruction in the South and left newly freed slaves at the mercy of southern retribution for more than 80 years. The Whiskey Ring Scandal involved a group of distillers who were found falsifying reports and cheating the government out of millions in tax dollars. Many of president Grant's appointees were involved in the scandal including Grant's personal secretary, Orville E. Babcock. Even though the prosecutor had mounds of evidence against him, Babcock was acquitted but was forced to resign.The Railroad Scandal
The greatest financial scandal of the nineteenth century was orchestrated by a collusion between industrialists and key Republican congressman and members of the Grant administration who arranged for the Credit Mobilier holding company to receive government land and money to build a railroad out west. In return these men received bribes and kickbacks and the railroad was never built.
Many railroad builders viewed the Plains Indians as obstacles to be removed. General William Tecumseh Sherman had written in 1867: "The more we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed the next year, for the more I see of these Indians the more convinced I am that they all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers."Custer's Last Stand
In 1876, president Grant's Secretary of War, William Belknep, was under investigation for accepting bribes in connection with the Indian Agency. Belknap also sold trading post appointments (along with Grants brother Orvil) and received kickbacks which caused high prices at the trading posts where U.S. soldiers were forced, by regulations to buy from exclusively. Lt. Col. George Custer had previously arrested Ulysses S. Grant's son, Fred, during the Black Hills Expedition and now began an investigation into the trading post corruption. He labeled the traders "a bunch of crooks," adding that Secretary Belknap was the "chief of the thieves." Custer was being groomed by Democrats to run for president in the next election but before he could give congressional testimony about the corruption, Custer found himself surrounded by hundreds of Indians armed with hundreds of new repeating rifles against Army issue, single shot rifles. Where did those dirt poor, Indians get all that high tech fire power?
The Battle of the Little Bighorn, or "Custer's Last Stand," coincidentally solved all the Republicans problems by taking the focus off their scandals and was also used to inflame Indian hatred and remove the rest of the Indians in the West, allowing the railroad corruption to continue. Over the course of Grant's presidency, all of the executive departments came under congressional investigation. Read More... And More... And More...
- The 14th Amendment which was supposed to protect African Americans was ultimately contorted to extend human rights to corporations. Over the next 20 years the Supreme court is packed with pro corporate justices. Of the 14th Amendment cases brought before the Supreme Court between 1890 and 1910 nineteen of them dealt with African Americans, 288 were argued to protect corporations. Below are a sample of the cases which were setteled in favor of "Corporate Personhood".1886
- Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad - “The court does not wish to hear argument on the question whether the provision in the 14th Amendment to the Constitution... applies to corporations. We are all of the opinion that it does” This statement by the Supreme Court gave corporations the status of "Corporate Personhood" and claim to equal protection under law of all U.S. human rights.1889
- Minneapolis &St. Louis Railroad v. Beckwith - Supreme Court rules a corporation is a “person” for both due process and equal protection.1893
- Noble v. Union River - Supreme Court rules corporations have claim to the Bill of Rights.1908
- Armour Packing Co. v. U.S. - Supreme Court rules corporations get 6th Amendment right to jury trial in a criminal case. A corporate defendant is now considered the “accused.” Of the 14th Amendment cases brought before the Supreme Court between 1890 and 1910 nineteen dealt with African Americans, 288 protected corporations.1938
- Conn. General Life Ins. v. Johnson - Upholds "Corporate Personhood." Justice Black dissents:" I do not believe the word ‘person’ in the Fourteenth Amendment includes corporations.”1947
- Taft-Hartley Act - Supreme Court rules corporations are granted “free speech.”1949
- Wheeling Steel Corp. v. Glander - Upholds "Corporate Personhood" ruling that corporations are given rights as persons under the 14th Amendment.1967
- See v. City of Seattle - Supreme Court grants corporations 4th Amendment protection from random inspection by fire departments.1976
- Buckley v. Valeo - The Supreme Court rules that political money is equivalent to speech extending the right for corporations to donate money to political candidates and parties.1976
- Virginia Board of Pharmacy v. Virginia Consumer Council - The Supreme Court protects commercial speech. Corporate advertising is now free speech.1977
- First National Bank of Boston v. Bellotti - Upholds "Corporate Personhood." Dissent by Justices White, Brennan, Marshall:“...the special status of corporations has placed them in a position to control vast amounts of economic power which may, if not regulated, dominate not only our economy but the very heart of our democracy, the electoral process...The State need not allow its own creation to consume it.”1977
- First National Bank of Boston v. Bellotti - The First Amendment is used to overturn state restrictions on corporate spending on political referenda. This precedent is used, with Buckley v. Valeo, to thwart attempts to remove corporate money from politics. The power of the people in America is now nullified by corporate wealth and power.
By 1977 the power of the American people is nullified by corporate wealth and power.Unequal Protection: The rise of corporate dominance and theft of human rights
by Thom Hartmann
- Democrat, Grover Cleveland years earlier had fathered an illegitimate child. He had taken full financial responsibility for his offspring and publicly acknowledged that he had made a mistake. Republican opponents, however, kept the matter in the public mind by chanting, "Ma, Ma, where's my Pa? Gone to the White House. Ha, ha, ha." The Republican opponent had engaged in questionable investment schemes while on the public payroll so Democratic partisans used the refrain, "Blaine, Blaine, James G. Blaine, the continental liar from the state of Maine!" Read More...
"Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters."
-- Grover Cleveland1888
– Democrat, Grover Cleveland was ousted by a single Republican Dirty Trick. Posing as Charles Murchison, a naturalized Englishman, living in California , Republican operative George Osgoodby forged a letter to British ambassador to the United States , Sir Lionel West asking which candidate would be best for Great Britain . The ambassadors reply letter was published, indicating his endorsement of Cleveland . The large Irish immigrant community hated Great Britain and Cleveland lost the critical Irish vote in New York and the election.Dirty Tricks in American Politics1912
- Teddy Roosevelt strengthened regulations on big business, brining 44 lawsuits against corporate monopolies (including: Rockefeller, Carnegie, Schwab and J.P. Morgan) and established a new federal Department of Labor and Commerce, which earned Roosevelt the nickname "Trustbuster." As a result of his actions, Roosevelt was rejected by the Republican Party in 1912 and ran on the Progressive Bull Moose ticket where he split the conservative vote, ensuring a win by Democrat Woodrow Wilson. This allowed right-wing conservatives to further take control of the Republican Party.
“The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy.” -- Woodrow Wilson1920s
- The Roaring Twenties were an era dominated by Republican presidents: Warren Harding (1920-1923), Calvin Coolidge (1923-1929) and Herbert Hoover (1929-1933). Under their conservative economic philosophy of laissez-faire ("leave it alone" or “Free Trade”), markets were allowed to operate without government interference. Taxes and regulation were slashed dramatically, monopolies were allowed to form, and inequality of wealth and income reached record levels. No need for dirty tricks, arrogance, greed and selfishness were in power. Right up until the Great Depression
.Warren G. Harding and the "Ohio Gang"
The Republican administration of Warren G. Harding is considered by many to have been even more corrupt than Ulysses S. Grant. The Teapot Dome Scandal, was one of the most embarrassing episodes in U.S. history. In 1921 Secretary of the Interior, Albert B. Fall, a member of Harding's "Ohio Gang" was able to gain control of valuable oil fields in Teapot Dome, Wyoming and Elk Hill, California. These oil fields had been set aside by the government for use by the navy. In 1922, Secretary Fall made a secret deal with two rich oilmen. He gave them a lease to pump oil out of the fields and sell it for themselves. Fall received $325,000 in bonds and cash as well as a large herd of cattle.
Another Harding "Ohio Gang" member, Jesse Smith, assistant to Attorney General Harry M. Cramer was exposed as a "bagman" when he was caught carrying bribes to and from the Attorney General's office. Charles Forbes, head of the Veterans Bureau, was convicted of taking at least $250 million dollars in kickbacks and bribes. Charles Cramer, legal advisor to the Veterans Bureau was exposed for taking bribes. Colonel Thomas W. Miller, head of the Office of Alien Property was convicted of fraud. He had sold valuable German patents seized in the first world war for below market price. He too had taken bribes. Through it all only Harding, Calvin Coolidge and a few members of the Cabinet remained in the clear. In 1923, Harding declared "I have no trouble with my enemies... but my damned friends, they're the ones that keep me up at night!" Read More...
Today right-wing conservative think tanks are actively trying to convince people that Democrats are actually Socialists and Hitler, Stalin and Sadaam Hussein were all Socialists and therefore linked to Democrats. But Hitler co-opted the popular socialist movement in Germany just as he co-opted Christianity to gain power. The NAZI Party, which included the words "National Socialist" was a nationalistic flavor that appealed to right-wing conservatives. Hitler often used the words Jews and Democrats interchangeably and the NAZI Party platform was devoted to eliminating liberals. Regardless, everything Hitler did was just a pretext for establishing a Fascist dictatorship. Watch this trailer to an actual right-wing documentary, financed by the Heritage Foundation:Roots of the Ultra Left - What They Really Think1920s - 30s
- Adolph Hitler
was a pure right-wing conservative bent on destroying liberalism by claiming to be a Christian protector of the people.
"The main plank in the Nationalist Socialist program is to abolish the liberalistic concept of the individual and the Marxist concept of humanity and to substitute for them the folk community, rooted in the soil and bound together by the bond of its common blood." -- Adolph Hitler
Hitler's distortion of Christianity ignited the flames of antisemitism, which remain burning in the problems we face in the middle-east today. Hitler chose the symbol of a twisted cross (swastika) from a Christian monastery to represent the twisted Christian views of the Nazi Party.
"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people."
-- Adolph Hitler
12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler)
Hitler was portrayed as a compassionate christian and strong leader protecting the German people from the terrorists who fire-bomed the Reichstag as he quietly pushed innocent sounding laws like the "Enabling Act" which promised to promote peace with France, Great Britain and the Soviet Union and to end unemployment but actually voted democracy out of existence in Germany and established the legal dictatorship of Adolf Hitler.
"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.The Rise of HitlerHitler was a right-wing conservative1933 - Attempted Coup against FDR
- Few Americans know that during the Great Depression, some of America 's wealthiest families including the Morgans and DuPonts fearful of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal policies conspired to overthrow the government of the United States and install a fascist dictatorship.The Attempted Coup Against FDR
In 1933 Major General Smedley Darlington Butler reported to Congress a coup d'etat plot against President Franklin Roosevelt, sponsored by corporate interests. Alarmed by Roosevelt's Democratic "New Deal" which would redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor, Irenee Du Pont, Grayson Murphy, William Doyle, John Davis and other representatives of J.P. Morgan banks, Du Pont, Goodyear and Bethlehem Steel sought to overthrow the U.S. government with a military coup and replace it with a fascist state, based on the recent success of Mussolini and Hitler in Italy and Germany.
General Butler was immensely popular with veterans and active troops. As a war hero, twice awarded the Medal of Honor, General Butler was known as "The Fighting Quaker" and a man of unimpeachable honesty and integrity. The conspirators tried to recruit Butler , by promising him an army of 500,000, unlimited financial backing and generous media spin control. The plot was foiled when Butler reported it to Congress.
To prevent a panic, Congress whitewashed the public version of its final report, deleting the names of the powerful businessmen whose reputations they sought to protect. The corporate owned media managed to spin the story as rumors and hearsay and the plot was generally covered up for many years. In 1967, journalist John Spivak uncovered the Committee's internal, secret report which clearly confirmed Butler 's story.The Plot Against FDR
“The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or any controlling private power.”
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Right-wing conservative J Edgar Hoover blackmailed Democratic President Harry Truman by using Truman aides to direct the Bureau in the surveillance and investigation of a number of prominent people in the government as possible communist spies. The bait was taken and Truman, without his knowledge, was compromised by the requests of his subordinates. Read More...1942
- George Bush's Grandfather bankrolls Hitler. Seizure of Union Banking Corporation (US Bank of Hitler via Fritz Thyssen). Prescott Bush (George Bush's Grandfather) held one share during this time worth $1.5 million when UBC liquidated in 1951. This is the money that launched the Bush family fortunes.How George Bush's Grandfather Bankrolled Hitler1948
- I ask this convention, to say in unmistakable terms that we proudly hail, and we courageously support, our President and leader Harry Truman in his great fight for civil-rights in America!" -- Hubert Humphrey
This speech began to push right-wing conservatives out of the Democratic Party and led to the Republican "Southern Strategy" which appealed to southern whites racists and with the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act led to the shift of majority Republican control of the south.Red state vs. blue state divide
Southern Strategy - Under the guise of "states' rights" right-wing conservatives developed the Sothern Strategy to exploit the racial conflicts in southern states by tapping into white racism and bigotry using themes like "racial quotas" and "welfare queens" to alienate liberal candidates in the south. Also known as "race-baiting" The strategy has more recently been expanded and refined to exploit cultural issues of abortion and gay marriage. Read More...
Hoover worked with young Republican Congressman Richard Nixon to embarrass Democrat Harry Truman and elect Republican Thomas E. Dewey in the 1948 presidential election. Truman won anyway. Read More...
"Richard Nixon is a no good, lying bastard. He can lie out of both sides of his mouth at the same time."
-- Harry S. Truman1950 – Tricky Dick
- The Korean War began, the Communists completed their takeover of China , and the Soviet Union , tested its first atomic bomb. Senator Joseph McCarthy and the Hollywood blacklist were making headlines across the country. Richard Nixon and former actress Helen Douglas were both members of congress campaigning for a seat in the U.S. Senate. In a climate of Red hysteria, Nixon's chief election strategy was smearing Douglas as a Communist sympathizer. She was, he said, "pink right down to her underwear." Murray Chotiner, Nixon's campaign manager, ran the dirtiest campaign in US history.Tricky Dick & the Pink Lady: Richard Nixon vs. Helen Douglas1950s - McCarthyism
- Republican Senator Joseph McCarthy accused the entire administration of President Harry Truman of harboring communists. Read More...
"If you can't convince 'em, confuse 'em. It's an old political trick. But this time it won't work."
-- Harry S. Truman
When President Truman was told to give ‘em (Republicans) hell Harry, he said: “I just tell the truth and they think it's hell” -- Harry S. Truman
While J Edgar Hoover had a great deal of damaging evidence on Republican Senator Joseph McCarthy's heavy drinking, fabricated military record, illegal campaign financing, compulsive gambling and several credible allegations of child molestation, including two documented incidents with girls under the age of ten, right-wing conservative Hoover allowed McCarthy free reign to ruin the lives of many innocent people. Read More...
At the start of the McCarthy era, Floridian Democrat Claude Pepper, one of the Senate's most outspoken liberals, was on the conservatives' "hit list." Opponent George Smathers repeatedly attacked Pepper for having communist sympathies, pointing out his pro-civil rights platform and campaign for universal health care. Smathers invoked the "Red Scare" by calling Pepper "the Red Pepper" and launched a campaign to expose Pepper's secret "vices" disclosing that Pepper was "a known extravert," his sister was a "thespian," and his brother was a "practicing homo sapien." Also, when Pepper went to college, he actually "matriculated." Worst of all, he "practiced celibacy" before marriage. Rural Florida voters were horrified, and Pepper lost. The reason this example is actually clever and lacking the typical viciousness of Republican dirty tricks is because Smathers was a right-wing conservative Democrat and this example happened during a primary race. Read More...1952
– J Edgar Hoover spreads untrue rumors that Democratic Presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson is gay. Read More...
"I will make a bargain with the Republicans. If they will stop telling lies about Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them." -- Adlai Stevenson1956 - COINTELPRO
- When Soviet leader Khrushchev revealed the crimes of Joseph Stalin, crushed dissent in Poland and Soviet tanks rolled into Hungary, support for the Communist Party in the United States collapsed. But that didn't stop J Edgar Hoover who made a fortune by having government employees ghost write (on government time) "Masters of Deceit" which was a highly successful mass market rationale for continuing the anti-Communist crusade and continued to fan the flames of red baiting and secured Hoovers role in protecting America and continued dirty tricks. Hoover initiated Counter Intelligence Program (COINTELPRO) to infiltrate and disrupt the Communist Party in the U.S. using "dirty tricks," undercutting leadership with false rumors, and manipulating party policies by infiltration and surveillance. Hoover would later extend this program to include peace activist groups, veterans against the war and Martin Luther King.Read More...1962 - Operation Northwoods
- Republican appointed U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, under Gen. Lyman Lemnitzer, drafted plans to kill innocent people and commit acts of terrorism in U.S. cities as a pretext for a war against Cuba . "We could blow up a U.S. ship in Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba ," and, "casualty lists in U.S. newspapers would cause a helpful wave of national indignation." Then Democratic President John Kennedy, stopped the operation, further irritating the right-wing conservative hawks. Based on reports U.S. military leaders had encouraged subordinates to vote conservative (Republican) during the 1960 election the Senate Foreign Relations Committee investigated and published a report on right-wing extremism in the military, warning a "considerable danger" in the "education and propaganda activities of military personnel" had been uncovered. Read More...Operation Northwoods
"The Bay of Pigs has taught me a number of things. One is not to trust Generals or the CIA, and the second is that if the American people do not want to use American troops to remove a Communist regime ninety miles away from our coast, how can I ask them to use troops to remove a Communist regime 9,000 miles away [in Vietnam]?"
-- John F. Kennedy
One important point that gets lost in all the conspiracy theories about the assassination of John F. Kennedy is the indisputable fact that the FBI did a tremendously terrible job of protecting the president. The evidence being that JFK was actually shot to death in broad daylight, which most people agree with. There were many opportunities for the FBI to prevent the assassination but it just didn't happen.
The FBI opened a file on Lee Harvey Oswald when he defected to Russia in 1959. Oswald was interviewed by the FBI when he returned in 1962 with his wife Marina. The FBI knew Oswald was subscribing to Communist publications and joined the Fair Play for Cuba Committee in 1963. The FBI was aware of Oswald's move to New Orleans in August of 1963 where he became involved in both pro and anti Communist activities. They knew he went to Mexico City in September, 1963 to meet with a Soviet KGB officer and tried to meet with Cuban officials. The FBI knew Oswald returned from Mexico to Dallas in early November and got a job at the Texas Book Depository.
When Dallas FBI Agent James Hosty interviewed his wife Marina, Oswald went to the FBI building in Dallas and left Hosty a note. The receptionist claimed the note included a threat to "blow up the FBI and the Dallas Police Department if you don't stop bothering my wife." That note should have landed Oswald in jail for life but a few weeks later, after the JFK assassination, Hosty was ordered to destroy the note by his superior Gordon Shanklin. Oswald's address book contained the name and phone number of FBI Agent Hosty. However, the Warren Commission was supplied a typewritten transcript which did not include Hosty's name and phone number. Oswald's letter remained a secret for thirteen years, when someone in the FBI tipped off a journalist about it's existence.
How is it possible the all powerful, rabid anti-communist, wire tapping happy, Hoover FBI didn't know exactly what Lee Harvey Oswald was up to, every second of every day? How is it possible the FBI would have allowed the presidents parade route to include that slow dog leg turn down Dealey Plaza right in front of the Book Depository where they knew worked a homicidal nut case? That was some really incredible incompetence.
J Edgar Hoover would now work for one of his oldest and closest friends and former neighbor, Lyndon Baines Johnson. LBJ gave Hoover free reign to spy on Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr., the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) and eventually every major anti-Vietnam-War group.Dallas FBI Agent James Hosty J. Edgar Hoover and LBJWarren Report
- On a White House tape recording, President Nixon is heard telling aides that the [Warren Report] "was the greatest hoax that has ever been perpetuated." The results of the Warren Report rested largely on the famous “Single Bullet” theory dreamed up by then staff attorney Arlen Specter now current Republican Senator from Pennsylvania. Read More... Also... Also...Dirty Politics of Richard Nixon 1964
- J Edgar Hoover issues a memo requesting agents to gather "information concerning [Martin Luther] King's personal proclivities... in order that we may consider using this information at an opportune time in a counterintelligence move to discredit him." Read More...
1968 – China Lobby
- In order to win the presidential campaign of 1968 Republican operatives undermined a serious initiative to end the Vietnam War. Republican Richard Nixon wins the election the war continues for seven more years and more than 20,000 American soldiers and millions of Southeast Asians died as a result. Read More...1970
- As a protégé of Donald Segretti
(convicted Watergate conspirator), Karl Rove
poses as a volunteer at the Chicago campaign headquarters of Alan Dixon, a Democrat running for state treasurer. Rove steals official campaign letterhead and sends out 1,000 invitations to people in the city's red-light district and soup kitchens, offering "free beer, free food, girls, and a good time for nothing" at Dixon headquarters. When hundreds of rowdy alcoholics show up at a fancy reception for Dixon, Rove succeeds in disrupting an important fundraiser. Dixon still wins the election. Admitting to the incident much later, Rove said, "I was nineteen and I got involved in a political prank."CREEP
- The Committee to Re-Elect the President or CREEP employed wiretaps, burglary, forgery, character assassination, and IRS audits to influence Democratic candidates and control which Democrat Nixon would run against in 1972. Creep operatives destroy political credibility of viable Democratic candidates with methodical “black bag" operations to plant, leak, and hype manufactured dirt. Donald Segretti as the head of the Committee to Re-elect the President (CREEP) called it “RAT F#CKING” as in screwing a “DemocRAT.” It included false press releases, forging letters, spying on rival campaigns, black mail, stuffing ballot boxes and conducting deceptive or offensive "push polling." Read More...1971
- FBI Uncovered - On March 8, 1971, A small FBI office in Media, PA, was burglarized and hundreds of documents were taken that told the story of widespread surveillance and wiretapping. When the documents were published, the public found out the FBI was guilty of extensive invasion of privacy. Other embarrassing revelations included the firing of an agent because his wife was dying and it was hurting morale. Hoover was no longer untouchable. He was becoming a target.
Nixon's Enemies List
- On September 9, 1971 President Nixon ordered Charles Colson to compile an "Enemies List" which was sent in memorandum form to John Dean on September 9, 1971 . The list was part of a campaign officially known as "Political Enemies Project." The official purpose, as described by the White House Counsel's Office, was to "screw" Nixon's political enemies, by means of tax audits from the IRS, and by manipulating "grant availability, federal contracts, litigation, prosecution, etc." The list included current Rep. John Conyers, Paul Newman, Bill Cosby, Jane Fonda, Steve McQueen, Barbra Streisand, The New York Times, and the Washington Post.Nixon's Enemies List
The Pentagon Papers
- When Nixon suspected psychiatrist Daniel Ellsberg of leaking the Pentagon Papers, special operatives were assembled The 'Plumbers' to fix the leaks by breaking into Ellsberg's office to find dirt to discredit him.Read More...The Plumbers
- The Plumbers operations expanded to spy on and neutralize Democrats before the 1972 election. The Plumbers planted electronic listening devices in the Watergate headquarters of the Democratic National Committee, but the operation went awry on June 17, 1972 , when the White House burglars went back in to replace malfunctioning bugs and were arrested. CIA officer Miles Copeland, in his 1978 book, The Real Spy World p. 299, wrote: “On one occasion, Jojo's [a pseudonym for a high-level CIA officer] office was asked for an LSD-type drug that could be slipped into the lemonade of Democratic orators, thus causing them to say sillier things than they would say anyhow. Read More...
Republican Karl Rove
drops out of college to devote full time to College Republicans, where he becomes protégé of dirty trickster Lee Atwater, the group's Southern regional coordinator. Rove becomes executive director, then national chairman.1972
- Republican operatives break in to the Democratic National Committee HQ to spy and fix an existing "bug." On October 10, 1972 FBI agents establish that the Watergate break-in stems from a massive campaign of political spying and sabotage of Democratic candidates conducted on behalf of the Nixon reelection effort, The Post reports. Read More... Also...
"I am not a crook" -- Richard Nixon, 1973
"If the President does it, it can't be illegal" -- Richard Nixon, 1977
Nixon immediately launched a cover-up, drawing White House officials into a criminal conspiracy to obstruct justice. Only the release of Nixon's White House tapes, under order of the U.S. Supreme Court, made clear that Nixon was lying and on Aug. 9, 1974 , Nixon resigned the Presidency.Watergate Tapes OnlineWatergate Washington Post Archive
Despite overwhelming evidence of Nixon's guilt, conservatives blamed the so-called "liberal" media for Nixon's downfall. Republicans doubled their efforts to build a network of think tanks, media outlets and attack groups.Excellent BBC Site on Watergate
[Chuck] "Colson, on the other hand, was as nasty a political operative as could be found. Colson was brutal, cruel and vicious... While he once famously said he would run over his grandmother to get Nixon reelected... Indeed, to this day we don't know the full extent of Colson's activities. He even refused to tell Nixon some of the things he had done. Karl Rove, from what I've seen, makes Colson look like a novice." -- John Dean - Salon Interview - "Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush".More vicious than Tricky DickThe "Canuck" letter
- February 24, 1972 The "Canucks" letter is forged by Republican operatives alleging Democratic favorite Edmund Muskie condoned a racial slur on Americans of French-Canadian descent as "Canucks." The letter's immediate effect was to compel the candidate to give a humiliating speech in front of the newspaper's offices, known simply as "the crying speech". The letter's indirect effect was the implosion of Muskie's candidacy. Read More...FBI Finds Nixon Aides Sabotaged DemocratsMuskie Sex Letter
- February 2, 1972 A Tampa Republican accountant named George A. Hearing plead guilty to publishing and distributing the "Muskie sex letter" on stationery from “Citizens for Muskie” The letter accused the Democratic favorite with depraved sex acts. The letter was also prepared with the help of Robert Benz, a Young Republicans leader from Tampa. Read More...Buchanan Outlined Plan to Harass Democrats in '72
Republican Karl Rove
paints McGovern as "left-wing peacenik," in spite of McGovern's World War II service piloting a B-24 bomber. Rove also works as staff assistant to George Bush Sr., then chairman of Republican National Committee (RNC).
1973 - Republican Karl Rove
introduces Dirty Tricks mentor Lee Atwater to Bush Sr. Atwater later becomes "political attack dog" for the Reagan-Bush team, helps Bush Sr. become president, and himself becomes RNC chairman.Karl Rove Chronological Tour1976
- Jimmy Carter was widely attacked by Republicans for truthfully admitting he had experienced moments of lust.1980 - Bill Casey's Theft and Reagan's Debate Performance
- In a 1983 book, Gambling with History, Time correspondent Laurence Barrett revealed that Reagan campaign aides "filched" (stole) President Carter's briefing papers to help prepare Reagan for the 1980 debate. Chief of Staff James Baker would later say that Reagan's campaign manager William Casey was the thief. Ronald Reagan defended the theft saying: "It probably wasn't too much different than the press rushing into print with the Pentagon Papers." Reagan appointed William Casey to head the CIA where he become the chief architect of the Iran-contra operation. Read More...
Under Casey the CIA focused on destabilizing and bankrupting the Soviet Union and stopping the spread of communism by working with corrupt dictators to unleash death-squads throughout Central America and Africa, conducting massive drug smuggling with Nicaraguan contras and the Afghan mujahadeen and plundered the world's banking system, most notably through the corrupt BCCI bank, which also had paid off a key Iranian in the October Surprise. The CIA armed Saddam Hussein with chemical weapons and intelligence to fight Iran and trained and supplied the Afghan mujahadeen which included Osama bin Laden and his army which later became Al queda. Conservative media highlighted favorable stories about Reagan while joining with the administration and conservative attack groups in trying to discredit mainstream journalists who reported information that put Reagan's policies in a negative light.1980 - The October surprise
- Republican operatives encourage Iran not to release the hostages prior to the presidential election with the promise of unfreezing Iranian assets under Ronald Reagan.
"The CIA Old Boys were reeling. In the 1970s, exposure of their dirty games and dirty tricks made the Cold Warriors look sinister--and silly. Then, President Carter ordered a housecleaning that left scores of CIA men out in the cold. In 1980, the CIA men wanted back in and their champion was former CIA director George Bush. With Bush and Ronald Reagan in power, the old spies could resume their work with a vengeance. The temptation was to do to Jimmy Carter what the CIA had done to countless other world leaders--overthrow him." --Robert Parry, Bush and a CIA Power Play, February 29, 1996Oct. 18, 1980
, Chicago Tribune reporter John Maclean told a U.S. foreign service officer, David Henderson, that a Republican source had supplied a fascinating tip -- that George Bush was flying to Paris to discuss the hostages with Iranians.
"The Iranian parliament was meeting and we had every information from Bani-Sadr and others that they were going to vote overwhelmingly to let the hostages go. And at the last minute on Sunday [two days before the election] for some reason they had adjourned without voting.... The votes were there, but the Ayatollah or somebody commanded them to adjourn." -- President Jimmy Carter
"The phrase 'October Surprise' kept cropping up and was soon campaign rhetoric. The more I listened, the more I realized that they were actually dreading the thought that the hostages might be released--if it happened at a time they thought would be inconvenient for their election plans." … "[I] think the hostages' release...had to do with a deal, struck before the deal-maker was in office." -- Patti Davis (Reagan's daughter) Read More...1980
- Republican Karl Rove
is fired by the Reagan/Bush campaign for disclosing confidential information to Bob Novak.1980s - Iran-Contra Affair
- Revealed a Republican cabal to illegally sell weapons to U.S. enemy Iran to finance the training and support of a Nicaragua Contra drug cartel which used CIA trained death squads to terrorize and maintain control over the people to grow and harvest cocaine. Nov. 18, 1987 A Congressional report states US President Ronald Reagan bore "ultimate responsibility" for wrongdoing by his aides in the Iran-Contra Affair. The reporter who linked the CIA to the sale of Nicaraguan crack in Los Angeles in the 1980s was found with two bullet holes in the back of his head, which of course was ruled as an apparent suicide. Read More...Reporter Who Linked CIA to Crack Sales Found Dead
Key people implicated in the Iran-Contra scandal reappeared at high-level posts in later Republican administrations, most notably in George W. Bush's administration.Iran Contra Success StoriesBCCI Affair
- Pakistan-based Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI) catered to the most notorious tyrants and thugs of the late 20th century, including Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, the heads of the Medellin cocaine cartel, Palestinian terrorist Abu Nidal, Manuel Noriega, al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden and a web of Washington lobbyists with close ties to President George H.W. Bush. BCCI was a massive criminal enterprise, engaged in fraud and money laundering for drug dealers, terrorists and arms traffickers all around the world. A French intelligence report obtained by The Washington Post in 2002 described the financial network operated by bin Laden today "is similar to the network put in place in the 1980s by BCCI." As one senior U.S. investigator said in 2002, "BCCI was the mother and father of terrorist financing operations." Democratic Senator John Kerry presided over the Senate probe that exposed the fraud, abuse and terrorist financing. Read More...1986
- Karl Rove
helps Bill Clement, the first Republican in a century to win a Texas gubernatorial race by holding a press conference to announce that a bug had been found in his office. Rove complained about how their campaign strategy was showing up so consistently in the other camp. The bug had only 2 hours left in a 3 hour battery life, which barely gave Rove time to plant the bug call the police and news media and smear a good Democrat Mark White.1988 - Willie Horton Ads
- The 1988 Bush-Quayle “Willie Horton” commercial played to overt racism and fear mongering. Whisper campaign questions Democratic presidential candidate Michael Dukakis' mental state and that Kitty Dukakis once burned an American flag. Read More...
Ross Perot accuses Republicans of "dirty tricks" against his presidential campaign including a wiretap in his Dallas office and threats to publish phony nude photos of his daughter and sabotage her wedding. In July, Perot drops out until after his daughters wedding and then re-enters the race, splits the conservative ticket with George Bush and Clinton wins the presidency. Read More...House Bank scandal
- Republican Minority Whip Newt Gingrich, along with 7 freshman Republicans referred to as the Gang of Seven or "The Young Turks," tried to get rid of Democratic Congressmen by making a dramatic public display of denouncing corrupt Democrats in the House Bank scandal which amounted to Congressman getting advances on their paychecks because of very loose rules in the House Bank, which was not actually a bank. No money was stolen or lost. This back fired a little when it was found that Newt had also written a number of overdraft checks. Read More...Check Scandal Reaches High Into Bush CabinetPolitical Scandals of the United States1994
- Republican Karl Rove
helps George W. Bush in his Governors race against incumbent Democrat Ann Richards. Rove starts a whisper campaign that Richards is gay and runs push polling phone calls asking voters "would you be more or less likely to vote for Governor Richards if you knew her staff is dominated by lesbians."1996 -
Billionaire, Ross Perot on "Meet the Press" said Republican Party operatives had asked him in 1992 for $1 million to finance a political dirty tricks campaign before he entered the race as an independent candidate. Perot, implicated Republican National Committee Chairman Haley Barbour.Perot says GOP backed dirty tricksTroopergate and the Arkansas Project
Troopergate was an early part of the "Arkansas Project." Republican fundraiser Peter W. Smith admitted to paying Arkansas State troopers Larry Patterson and Roger Perry $6,700 each to smear the reputation of President Bill Clinton. Self described "Conservative Hit Man" David Brock, writing for the Scaife owned American Spectator wrote and broke the story in 1993.
In a 1997 Esquire article titled "I Was a Conservative Hit Man" Brock recanted his claims. In 1998 he went further and personally apologized to Clinton. Brock went on to write: "Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative" in which he exposed the right-wing conspiracy to destroy Bill and Hillary Clinton and Anita Hill.TroopergateBlinded by the Right
: The Conscience of an Ex-ConservativeThe "Arkansas Project"
The "Arkansas Project" funded by billionaire Richard Mellon Scaife, was designed to damage and end the presidency of Bill Clinton through a series of bogus investigations. After wasting more than $25 million of taxpayer money to trump up charges against the Clintons on Whitewater, Troopergate, Travelgate and Filegate the right-wingnuts had to settle with exploiting the fear of Hillary Clinton to trap Bill Clinton into fudging about an affair.
February 12, 1999 The Republican controlled Senate acquits President Clinton of all impeachment charges. President Clinton had been asked "have you ever had sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky, as that term is defined in Deposition Exhibit 1, as modified by the Court." The definition excluded oral sex and President Clinton truthfully answered: "I have never had sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky." The founding fathers defined impeachment for "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors against the United States."
CIA operative Barry Seal came forward to refute the Republican attempt to link Clinton with Pablo Escobar. When in fact the drug ring in question was actually being run as a CIA sting operation and had nothing to do with Clinton.
The Arkansas Project smear campaign was amplified by the propaganda organs of the Republican Party including The Washington Times, owned by ultraconservative cult leader Sun Myung Moon, Right-wing propagandist billionaire Rupert Murdoch (FOX News and New York Post) as well as wing nut buffoon, Rush Limbaugh and the Internet gossip column "Drudge Report."
During the Clinton presidency the federal budget moved from a quarter-trillion-dollar deficit to a 2 trillion dollar projected surplus. Clinton balanced the US budget, fostered the longest economic expansion in US history, reduced crime and the number of people on welfare. Unemployment dropped from 7.5% to below 4% for the first time in more than 30 years and the Dow Jones rose from 3,200 to a record breaking 10,000.Sept. 20, 2000
- Independent counsel announces that the Whitewater investigation is closed due to insufficient evidence against the president and first lady.Clinton Timeline
Arkansas ProjectThe Hunting of the PresidentThe Republican Noise Machine
: Right-Wing Media and How it Corrupts Democracy
Republicans launched over 55 official congressional investigations against President Clinton including one investigation on the Clinton family cat "Socks" and12 hours of testimony on the use of the White House Christmas card list. Not one official congressional investigation has been started on George W. Bush.GOP Investigated Pres. Clinton’s Cat 2000 -
Republican Karl Rove
is at the heart of George Bush's vicious smear campaign against fellow Republican John McCain in the South Carolina primary, claiming McCain was a stoolie while a P.O.W. in Vietnam and now emotionally unstable. Rove is also credited with a coordinated stealth campaign of push polling which asks South Carolina voters: "If you knew John McCain fathered an illegitimate black child would you be more or less likely to vote for him?" This was followed up with direct mail and church parking lot flyers to convince voters McCain's adopted Bangladeshi daughter was actually his illegitimate daughter and that his wife was a drug addict. A Bush operative also stole McCain's email lists and directly emails McCain's closest supporters with scandal and lies. Ironically Karl Rove's mentor Lee Atwater, was the political strategist for Strom Thurman, U.S. Senator from South Carolina, who actually did have an illegitimate African American daughter.
The 2000 presidential campaign was overwhelmed by a smokescreen of suspicion created around Al Gore, designed to demorlize the Democratic base and suppress the overall vote.Al Gore Myths DebunkedThe Press vs. Al Gore
Bush debate material is sent to Al Gore's campaign in an effort to make it appear as if Gore is spying on Bush. Bush's cousin calls race for Bush on FOX News, leading other networks to follow suit, prematurely. Thousands of Florida voters are wiped from the voting rolls by brother Governor Jeb Bush.
In May of 2001 the preliminary findings of the United States Commission on Civil Rights regarding the stolen election of 2,000 were published, concluding that Florida Gov. Bush, and the Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris, turned a blind eye on election day which caused “a pattern of injustice, ineptitude and inefficiency.” Read More...
"The Commission found that the problems Florida had during the 2000 presidential election were serious and not isolated. In many cases, they were foreseeable and should have been prevented. The failure to do so resulted in an extraordinarily high and inexcusable level of disenfranchisement, with a significantly disproportionate impact on African American voters."Voting Irregularities in Florida During the 2000 Presidential Election
Republican corporations have "Privatised" voting in the U.S. and are taking complete control of the nation.Which Corporation Owns Your Vote?An open invitation to election fraud
2000 - Attacking Hillary - Right-wing propagandist Rupert Murdoch attacks Hillary Clinton in the midst of her 2000 senate race with a poisonous smear campaign. Murdoch-owned New York Post claimed that in 1974 Hillary had called one of her husband's aides "a f#cking Jew bastard." The story was based on a book published by Murdoch-owned HarperCollins, titled State of a Union: Inside the Complex Marriage of Bill and Hillary Clinton.
The right-wing media went to town with the story and within hours, it was repeated on CNN, NBC, and of course, Murdoch-owned FOX News. Eventually it was discovered that the source and object of the story was a former Clinton campaign aide named Paul Fray, who was a Baptist and not even Jewish and had lost his law license for taking a bribe. Fray had also written to Mrs. Clinton in 1997, apologizing for calling her names and spreading false stories about her. The damage was done but Clinton won anyway.
2002 - Republican Dirty tricks oust Democratic Sen. Max Cleland by attacking his patriotism. Cleland, who volunteered for Vietnam and left three limbs there, had to endure seeing pictures of himself in a Republican Saxby Chambliss campaign ad next to images of Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden. Chambliss sat out the Vietnam war with a bad knee.
Republicans in Michigan recruited “stealth” candidates to run as phony Democrats for nine state Senate seats. The Muskegon Chronicle exposed and derailed the plan.
Republican "dirty tricks" in US mid-term elections
2003 - On JULY 8, Syndicated columnist Robert Novak mentions to Rove that former ambassador Joseph Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, is a CIA undercover operative. Rove's comment: "I heard that too." On JULY 8, Novak's syndicated column reveals publicly the classified information that, according to "two senior administration officials," Plame is an undercover CIA operative, .
Republicans Scooter Libby and Karl Rove, nicknamed “Turd Blossum” by George Bush, are the prime suspects in the outing of CIA agent Valerie Plame as hardball payback for her husband Joseph Wilson's criticism of the Bush administration.
Republican staff members of the US Senate Judiciary Commitee infiltrated opposition computer files for a year, monitoring secret strategy memos and periodically passing on copies to the media, Senate officials told The Globe. From the spring of 2002 until at least April 2003, members of the GOP committee staff exploited a computer glitch that allowed them to access restricted Democratic communications without a password.
Senate GOP staff pried on Democrats
"Republican psy-ops are conveyor-belt slick, and ever on the offensive. The Heritage Foundation alone has lines to 1,500 conservative radio talk-show hosts. They build infrastructure, they build TV studios. Eighty percent of the talking heads on television are from conservative think tanks. Eighty percent. They train their people.” -- George Lakoff, Rockridge Institute
2004 - Republican Karl Rove is credited with an orchestrated stealth campaign of phone calls, direct mail and email in the bible belt claiming that if John Kerry were elected he would ban the Holy Bible in America. Church goers all across the country are told to "vote for the Christian." Even though John Kerry had lived his entire adult life in public service while George Bush was a spoiled, drunken frat boy bailed out by one family friend after another and who only found religion when the electoral math was explained to him.
Republican operative Nathan Sproul's company is under investigation for allegedly destroying voter registration forms signed by Democrats. Now comes new evidence about Sproul's connections to the Bush-Cheney campaign.
Republican dirty tricks
A group financially bankrolled by Bush supporters bankroll TV ads smearing the military record of John Kerry.
Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record
Swiftboat Veterans: their lies and the real truth about John Kerry
George Bush's New England campaign chairman in 2004 and top Republican Party official was convicted on telephone harassment charges for his part in a plot to jam election day 2002 phones used to give rides to the polls. James Tobin could get up to seven years in prison and $500,000 in fines when he is sentenced in March.
Former Bush campaign official indicted in phone-jamming
2005 - Phony Robo Calls - The Republican Party makes illegal phony robo calls pretending to be Democrat in 2005 VA Gov race. Read More...
Virginia GOP Director Indicted!
Rep. Kilgore to Be Deposed In Eavesdropping Suit
College Republican Groups Defraud Elderly Voters of Millions
Republicans pull last minute "dirty tricks"
'Unprecedented' GOP-Crafted Redistricting in Texas
Republican Dirty Tricks
Seeing red in Florida - More Dirty Tricks
Here Come the Dirty Tricks
GOP dirty tricks in Ohio?
Bush-Cheney Campaign Admits Illegal Use of Funds in Texas 2002 Races
GOP Official Convicted
Maryland GOP Gov. Caught Trying to Buy Media Influence
GOP plan targeted new voters
Bush Advisor Sabotaged Peace Negotiations before 2000 Election
GOP Lies about DNC manual to accuse Dems of dirty tricks
Republican Dirty Tricksters Sproul & Associates Accused of Vote Fraud
Protect the Vote
GOP Fesses Up To Anti-Gay Mailing
Rove's Rules of Disengagement
Media urged to fight dirty tricks
GOP staff pried on Democrats
Rep. Nick Smith Blames TRAFFIC for $100,000 Bribe Claim
Medicare vote scandal - Drug-Company Bribe
Justice Dept to Investigate GOP Bribe Attempt
Who Tried To Bribe Rep. Smith
PFAW Demand Apology for RNC Lie
GOP AG Solicited Corporate Contributions
Mayor Says Bug Part Of Political Attack
GOP and IRS Use 501c3s for Political Money Laundering
Deceit and Money Still Rule - GOP Filthy Politics
GOP Letters-to-the-Editor Fraud
Republican Party Politics
Compiled, edited and summarized by Todd Smyth
Fighting Back - Political Judo for the Strong of Heart